Paperless Office in Portland
The paperless office is an ultimate dream for businesses- but 95% of Portland offices still have their documents and company information laying on desks or filed away in cabinets. Papers pile up; more and more filing cabinets are added, and all of a sudden one of your offices is utilized specifically to store your files. Although they’re easy to access, over time, they tend to pile up, creating a host of problems for businesses.
Digital documents are easier to access, eliminates the chances of older versions of documents getting out in the open, and optimizes document flow through your business. In most cases, when businesses make the decision to “go digital,” they hire a professional document scanning service to convert all their hard-copy paper records into electronic versions.
If you’re interested in converting your documents and records to digital format, let our experts know! Fill out the form to the left, or give us a call at (503) 334-0680.
Does your Portland-Based Business Want to Go Paperless? Answer these Questions First
Converting to a paperless office in Portland might not be as easy you might think. There’s a chance you’ll come across some issues—but this checklist will help you avoid some of the pitfalls associated with converting to a paperless office. Answer the questions and make well-informed decisions.
- Is hiring a Portland document scanning service a cost effective solution for you? This usually depends on how many documents you want to convert.
- Are you going to save a significant amount of money spent on paper, postage, ink and other supplies each month?
- Will it be easier to access documents through an electronic management system than through the system you’re using now?
- Will confidential files and documents containing personal or critical business information be more secure through document scanning and electronic storage
- How much time to do you spend shuffling through stacks of paper? Will electronic documents eliminate some or all of that?
- How do you back up your business files now- what happens when the system crashes?
If you can answer all these questions with confidence, then you’re ready to go paperless! If you have questions or want more information, give us a call at (503) 334-0680 or fill out the form.
Federal Laws that Encourage Electronic Document Storage
There are several laws that have been introduced to ensure that businesses take proper precautions to protect employees and customers’ personal information- Sarbanes-Oxley, FACTA and HIPPA. Here’s a brief explanation of how these laws encourage you to convert to electronic document storage and management sooner rather than later:
- In 2002, the federal government introduced the Sarbanes-Oxley Act which requires businesses to properly maintain financial records. That includes being able to retrieve them when required.
- In 2003, Congress passed the Fair and Accurate Credit Reporting Act (FACTA) which also requires businesses to properly safeguard and store personal information and properly destroy them. Obviously, if documents are systematically converted to a digital format, it is easier to store, retrieve, and ultimately destroy this sensitive information.
- The third major act which compels companies to store information electronically is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996, which addresses the security and privacy of health data. The standards are meant to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the nation’s health care system.
Most offices operate under a flood of paper documents. Employees maintain a personal archive, each office maintains another archive, and then there is also an official company archive. The storage required for paper documents grows at a rate of 20-25% every year.
To help meet their storage needs, many companies look to offsite storage to store their company documents. This solves the storage problem but can be very costly depending on the size of the business.
Consider this- just one hard drive holds millions of pages of documents- which equates to hundreds of four-drawer file cabinets. The cost of document scanning is minimal to the time and space you’ll save your business year over year. No wonder more and more companies are making the decision to go paperless. Let Portland Document Scanning help your business make the transition today!
Ready to Make the Change to a Paperless Office? Portland Document Scanning Can Help!
Let a professional Portland company and staff take the hassle out of your move to a paperless office. Portland Document Scanning has the manpower to quickly perform the indexing, scanning, and post-production work to get your office into digital documents. We can even help you convert text via optical character recognition (OCR) software to allow you to edit the documents or redact private information to protect your customers.
If you’re interested in converting your documents and records to digital format, let our experts know! Fill out the form, or give us a call at (503) 334-0680.